The following checklists are for our Paid Customers only, there are items on the checklist that will be given to you by your case manager once they have reviewed the order – (this is to ensure that your passport application is processed correctly and in as fast of a manner as possible).

Customers should wait to fill out passport applications until they have spoken to their assigned case manager to ensure proper processing

Should you have questions, please call our office at 800-545-2188 (Monday thru Friday 9AM – 6PM EST)

New Passport (Form DS-11)

You must use this form if:

  • You have never had a U.S. passport; or
  • If your passport was lost, stolen or damaged (also fill out form DS-64)

Passport Renewal (Form DS-82)

You must use this form if:

  • Your prior passport was issued when you were 16 or older.
  • Your prior passport was issued within the last 15 years.
  • Your prior passport is within your possession.

Lost, Stolen or Damaged Passport (DS-11 and DS-64 Form)

If your passport is Lost, Stolen or Damaged, you’re required to fill out both the DS-11 and DS-64 forms.

  • Your passport has been lost or stolen.
  • Your passport is damaged but still valid.

Child Passport (DS-11 and DS-3053 Form)

If your child is under 15 years of age, please use this form:

You can use the Statement of Consent Regarding a Minor (DS-3053) form if:

  • One of the legal guardians or parents cannot be present at the acceptance agent.

Passport Name Change (DS-5504 Form or DS-82 Form)

If you have changed your legal name either by marriage, divorce, or court order, you can apply for a passport name change, following these conditions:

  • You can use the DS-5504 to change your name if your passport has only been issued for one year or less
  • If your passport has been issued longer than one year you will need renew your passport to submit a name change