The US Government processes more than 13 Million passport applications every year. That is no less than 50,000 passports every single day that the passport agency is open. And while there are no statistics released for the number of suspended or denied passport applications we do know that in 2015 the passport agency said that there were more than 200,000 application suspensions for issues related to improper passport photos; unfortunately, this resulted in passport issuance delays and missed trips. But there is good news, this was the single biggest reasons for a passport application suspension and the passport agency took steps in 2016 to help reduce this number.
Suspended vs Denied
Passport applications can be denied or suspended pending further action on the applicants’ part. Suspended applications are given 90-days to resolve the issue(s) before the application is deemed denied. As professional passport expediters, we’re privy to the suspension letters of suspended applicants we submit and we help every suspended applicant resolve the issues quickly to receive their passport. Regardless if a passport application is suspended, denied, or issued – all application fees are deemed utilized, unfortunately this also goes for our passport expediting fees when our services are utilized – although we will assist you in the event of a suspended application, at no additional cost (does not apply to additional shipping costs needed to send documents) to resolve the matter whenever possible.
- Improper passport photos – photos too blurry, not on a white background, wrong size, wearing glasses or other head-gear, too zoomed out, too zoomed in
- Improper check / payment – check not made out to “US Department of State”, check made out for the wrong amount, wrong date, unsigned check, using a check that doesn’t have printed name and address
- Birth Certificates – not sending an original state issued birth certificate or certified copy, sending a short form or birth registration instead of state issued birth certificate, names don’t match the applicant and the birth certificate (unless documents provided), dates not matching on the birth certificate and passport application
- Child Support – varies by state but owing back due child support can prevent you from getting a passport. In these cases, an applicant would need to contact their local state child support enforcement office to get it cleared up
- Application Issues – Unsigned applications, wrong applications, incomplete applications
- Taxes – Currently owe more than $50,000 in taxes or owed that much in the past and the hold was not lifted yet
- Itinerary (Expedited Service Only) – Not provided or doesn’t match the travel dates listed on the passport application, improper itinerary, improper business letter, unsigned business letter
- Death – If an applicant dies before a passport is issued does happen. Obviously, this would be rejected
- Ongoing Felony Court Cases
- Proof of Identification issues – Drivers license not being valid for 6-months, different name on drivers license, different name than what is on the birth certificate
- Handwritten application (Expedited Service Only) – Applies to using a 3rd Party Passport expediter like our company – all applications must be filled out online and not be handwritten
- Letter of Authorization (Expedited Service Only) – Improperly filled out LOA, unsigned LOA, not filled out in blue ink, wrong courier name
- Consent Form – Consent for minor child not included, wrong consent forms, un-notarized consent form, incomplete consent form
- Passport Book Damage – In doing a passport renewal and your book is damaged the renewal may be denied and you will fill out a DS-62 in addition to the DS-11 – this is essentially going through the first-time application process again
- Probation or Felony – Usually dependent upon the charges
This may seem like a daunting list of reasons your application can be denied, but it really isn’t that complicated to get it all correct on the first time. Expedited Passports & Visas
is a nationwide passport expediting company
– In addition to providing you with courier service for your passport application, we can also provide you with the support and assistance (prior to submission) to ensure minimal passport application suspensions.